One of my favorite things to buy year round is candles! Who doesn’t love to walk into a room and be embraced by warm vanilla, palm beach breeze, or sweet cinnamon?
This easy DIY no wax candle recipe is not only lasting, but also SUPER cheap!
What you will need:
- Jar of your choice
- Vegetable shortening
- Crayons for color
- Scented essential oil
- 100% cotton string
- A nut (hardware)
- Skewer stick
- Clean out and dry the jar.
- Fill jar with vegetable shortening, leaving a 1 inch space at the top of the jar.
- Microwave the jar for 2 minutes to melt shortening.
- Melt your choice of crayons in the microwave in separate bowl. Then, add to shortening and mix for color.
- Add 1 tablespoon of scented essential oil.
- Cut 1 foot of the cotton string.
- Tie one end of the string to the nut hardware.
- Drop the nut in the center of the jar so that the nut touches the bottom of the jar.
- With the opposite end of the string, wrap around a skewer and rest on the top of the jar.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Cut string to leave about ¼ inch at the top for the wick.
Now, enjoy your homemade creation!
Photo by Something Turquoise