This is a simple recipe for when hunger strikes with a vengeance. It is packed with tender vegetables and filled with protein – it can be made vegetarian-friendly with tofu instead of chicken. Serve it with a salad for a quick and healthy meal that the whole family will love, one that will satisfy the craving for a hearty meal.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Here’s what you’ll need…
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and diced (preferably each a different color to make the dish more colorful! My favorite color combo is 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 green pepper.)
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed (or 1 package firm tofu, drained and cubed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can lowfat fat chili
In a large bowl, combine all of the vegetables and chicken. Drizzle the olive oil and mix to coat. Add the thyme, salt, and garlic powder.
Spread the mixture on a baking sheet, and cover well with foil. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Remove the foil and turn on the broiler. Put the sheet back in on broil, until the vegetables are nicely browned (approx. 8 minutes).
Warm the chili and set aside. Scoop the vegetables and chicken onto a plate or bowl, and top each serving with a scoop of warmed chili.
Nutritional Facts: 230 calories, 4g fat, 28g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, and 20g protein.
Featured image by Vegan In The Freezer